ICT Ministers and the most relevant executives of the digital regional ecosystem will be attending the Latin American Communications Congress 2017
A few weeks from the event, the highest governmental authorities from the ICT sector of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Costa Rica have already confirmed for the most important event in Latin America for debating on ICTs public policies. Ministers, regulatory authorities, CEOs from the digital industry in the region as well as scholars will meet from the 20th to the 23rd of June in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia for the fifth version of the Latin American Communications Congress (CLT17).
Bogotá D.C., 29th of May 2016. Ministers, regulatory authorities, and executives from the ICT industry in Latin America will meet from the 20th to the 23rd of June in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia for the Latin American Communications Congress (CLT17). Among the panelists confirmed, it is worth highlighting the Minister of Information and Communications Minister, David Luna, the Executive Director of the CRC, Germán Darío Arias, and the General Director of ANE, Martha Suárez, from Colombia; the Minister or Communications, Oscar Aguad and the ICT Secretary, from Argentina, Héctor Huici; Paola Tapia, Minister of Transportation and Communications, and Rodrigo Ramírez, Sub Secretary of SUBTEL Chile; Juárez Quadros, President of ANATEL, Maximiliano Martinhão, Informatics Policy Secretary, and André Borges, Telecommunications Secretary of the Ministry of Science, Technology, Innovation and Communications from Brasil; Gabriel Contreras, President of the Federal Institute of Telecommunications, and Edgar Olivera, Communications Sub Secretary of the Communications and Transportations Secretariat of Mexico; and Gilbert Camacho President of the SUTEL Council of Costa Rica.
With the participation of the leaders of the most relevant governmental entities, organizations and associations of the digital ecosystem, the CLT17 will be the appropriate scenario for promoting dialog towards a common agenda to allow facing the challenges and taking advantage of opportunities for developing the ICT and the Digital Economy in Latin America.
Other actors of the digital ecosystem who will be present at the CLT17 are: Oscar León, Executive Secretary of CITEL; Josep Borrel, Former President of the European Parliament; Marcelo Cataldo, CEO TIGO Colombia; Eduardo Caride, CEO Telefónica Hispanoamérica; Karim Lesina, Vice President for International Affairs of AT&T; Carlos López Blanco, General Director of Public Affairs and Regulation of Telefónica; Alejandro Cantú Jiménez, Legal Director of América Móvil; Rachel Samren, Executive VP & Chief External Affairs Officer of Millicom; Robert Pepper, Global Connectivity and Technology Policy of Facebook; José María Lassalle, State Secretary for the Sociedad de la Información y la Agenda Digital de España; Walker San Miguel, Secretary General of the CAN; Ana Lucía Lenis, Governmental Affairs Manager of the Andean and Central Region of Google; Kevin Martin, Mobiles and Global Access Policies Vice President of Facebook; and José del Castillo, President of Comtelca.
The event will allow debating on public policies for developing the Digital Ecosystem in Latin America will be discussed, particularly the role of the States and the promotion of investment and innovation, as well as the guidelines for advancing towards the appropriate regulatory frameworks for the convergence era. Consideration will be given to the contribution of the mobile industry to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, among other matters.
The Plenary Session of the CLT17 will take place between the 20th and the 21st of June and it shall be dealing with the following topics:
The 7 recommendations on public policy to attract investment in Latin America
- The role of the State in the Digital Economy; presentation of the report “Affordability Report, Alliance for Affordable Internet”
- Model of the Regulatory Model for convergence; Digital Economy, investment and innovation: lessons on regulation and making public policies in Latin America; Internet and Innovation under regulated environments.
- How to make an effective implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals in the region
- Public Policies for developing telecommunications and challenges for Digital Development of Latin America.
The four days agenda of the regional encounter will also include a series of parallel seminars and meetings which will complete an intense week of activities for the regional ICT industry:
- CRC Workshop – Strategy for promoting the digital economy in Colombia (Tuesday 20th – 9:00)
- Workshop Secretary of Communications and Transportation (SCT), Mexico – Broadband for all in Mexico: Projects for promoting universal access (Thursday 22nd – 9:00)
- CAF Workshop – Education for the 21st Century: Education, Connectivity and technological advancement in the Educational System (Thursday 22nd – 11:00)
- GSMA Workshop – Redefining the regulatory frameworks for digital inclusion (Thursday 22nd – 14:00)
- CPR LATAM Meeting: academic network of research centers with the purpose of building knowledge on the social economic and political impact of ICTs (Thursday 22nd and Friday 23rd)